14 from 2014: The most memorable archery moments of the year just gone
Read on for a countdown of World Archery’s top moments from the year we’ve left behind.
14) The culmination of Korea’s compound experiment: women win team gold in the category at the first Asian Games to include the bowstyle, while India take men’s top spot.
13) OH Jin Hyek: a feature on the Olympic Champion in which he doesn’t say a word…
12) The first ever Korean recurve man to win an Indoor Archery World Cup stage, after another Korean drew the world record in qualification. (At the Hyundai Steel squad’s first international indoor event.)
11) Inspirational archer Matt STUTZMAN headbanging after giving out signed apparel at The Mexican Challenge (which had a crowd of over 5,000 in the centre of Mexico City, the host of the next Archery World Cup Final).
10) Dude Perfect taking up archery.
8) LEE Woo Seok shooting a ridiculous number of 10s (13 out of 15) to win the boy’s final of the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games…
7) …against new Brazilian star Marcus D’ALMEIDA. Whose list of accomplishments in his first international season outstrips many more experienced athletes.
6) This photo of two-time World Cup Champion Sergio PAGNI and his Italian compound team:
5) India “B” versus Korea in the recurve men’s team final at the Archery World Cup stage in Medellin.
3) Outdoor world champ Mike SCHLOESSER becoming the first ever European to win the compound men’s championship division at The Vegas Shoot.
2) The 595 out of 600 Erika JONES shot at the Nimes 2014 World Archery Indoor Championships to break a world record that had stood for 13 years.
…and there’s plenty more to look forward to in 2015. The Road to Rio kicks off, we’ve got four world championships, a test event and a World Cup series finishing up in Mexico City.
Happy New Year!